Tuesday, August 12, 2014
Digging into Technology
I have been digging into the uses of technology in leadership for the past eight weeks in a course at Creighton University. A quick look at technology gives a glimpse at how fast it can change. Twenty years ago my husband and I got our first cell phone - well actually it was a gigantic bag phone that plugged into the cigarette lighter in our car. We had to pull out the antenna to actually get a signal. I was amazed that I could talk to someone on a phone in my car. I now have a cell phone I don't share with him that fits in my pocket and allows me to get on the internet, call people, video conference, keep track of my appointments, and write my grocery list. I couldn't have imagined those changes when I spoke for the first time on that big bag phone.
The variety of Web 2.0 tools is amazing. The shift in a classroom to technology-based teaching an learning has led to adaptive learning tools and the ability to embed the tools within learning management systems so grades can be calculated and assignments made directly in the learning management system has helped teachers to organize their online tools. We can use videos from the internet to teach such as this crude video my students and I made to allow them to review dissections (warning: it is a dissection of a fetal pig). I found a great resource for educators called Emerging Ed Tech that has provided a lot of ideas regarding what type of technologies exist for educators.
With all of these advances in technology comes great responsibility in leadership. Through this course we looked at the ethical and unethical uses of technology. Technology can be used to help educate and simplify processes, but it can also be used in questionable manners. I currently have a virus on my computer that is trying to get me to call a toll free number to get instructions for removal - almost like holding my computer hostage to a million pop-ups until I will pay their price for removal. Obviously, not an ethical use of technology by the virus provider. What about hactivism (a new word in my vocabulary from this class)? The campus where I teach is on the border of Ferguson, MO which made national news this week for the social unrest that has occurred due to the killing of a young man by a police officer. To add to the social unrest on the streets, Anonymous added a YouTube video threatening, or maybe I should say promising to take down web-based assets of the police department and dumping their databases and emails onto the internet if protestors are attacked, etc. It is up to ethical leaders that are guided by mission and values to lead through this technology boom.
Technology changes very quickly and can very easily mislead people to poor uses when they become enamored by technology's bells and whistles. The focal point of mission and values will help leaders to discern the appropriate technologies to use and the appropriate use of those technologies. I will continue to dig into technologies, but will be much more mindful of mission of the organization and my personal values to guide my choices to ask others to follow my technological lead.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

As I have several times across the course of the past 8 weeks regarding how technology has changed so, I could not help but chuckle, again, regarding the first “car” phone you had that came in the big bag. I sooooooooooo remember that. Pre-dating that, I had the “car” phone that was mounted in the car (antenna mounted at the top of the back windshield) – usually on the passenger’s side of the car; squeezing the legs of the passenger, yet keeping out of sight from burglars. Having either the bag or the mounted phone seemed to be accompanied with a feeling of status. On the contrary, in present day, I’m not sure there are many without a cell phone (children and adults alike). As a matter of fact, an individual would probably receive a peculiar look if he/she disclosed that they do not have, own, and/or use a cell phone.
ReplyDeleteAs you and the old adage suggest, “to whom much is given, much is required”. As leaders and employees, there is much responsibility that comes with the advances in technology and web 2.0. Newton’s law proposes that for every action is an equal and opposite reaction. While this law generally regards physical motion, it can certain be applied to individual behaviors and the consequences of those actions – in this instance, we speak to one’s actions as it relates to the ethical use of technology (Thank you for sharing the video from Anonymous – that was quite scary for me as I believe people are capable of anything when the uses of technology and web 2.0 are involved; hence I take that “promise” seriously).
Aligned with your sentiment, keeping the mission at the heart and foundation of decision-making should limit unethical behaviors and support principled actions. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Wow - we never made antenna status! We did get entrepreneurial and make antenna toppers, though. Thank you for the timely reminder about being given much and using it wisely!
ReplyDeleteThe "promise"from Anonymous did play out. The Ferguson website is down and they are releasing personal information regarding individual officers. Today, Twitter announced that they will turn off Anonymous' account. Although, I suspect Anonymous is fighting for justice in this case, they do not understand what they have done financially to the folks of Ferguson. The very people they think they are helping, they have hurt in a way that will take decades to undo. Unfortunately, they are not using their leadership wisely.
It is easy to see that many things can distract from the mission in leadership and I hope to be a leader that uses what I have been given wisely by keeping my eye on mission.
Hello Julie,
ReplyDeleteI agree wholeheartedly with your sense that it will require ethical leaders to discern the best methods of using technology in our schools. A commitment to this ethical leadership is obviously a value that you share and I applaud you for making that a priority. I hope that as your scope of leadership in education increases that you are able to make everyone's experience, and especially that of our students, an experience that contributes to their full formation as compassionate and morally sound people of integrity.
I have enjoyed reading your post on a weekly basis. God bless you in every good way!
"Technology changes very quickly and can very easily mislead people to poor uses when they become enamored by technology's bells and whistles."
ReplyDeleteI agree with this comment about carefully selecting technologies to introduce to an organization. Leaders that select technology based on trends or a 'cool factor' and not on business needs may find that they have spent a lot of time and money on a technology that actually hinders, not helps productivity. Leaders need to identify business challenges and needs, then determine appropriate technologies to address these issues. They must also fully vet the technology, estimate the full costs to the organization (expenses and payroll), understand the impacts on Associates, take into account all the dependencies, and then balance that against the expected benefits the technology will provide. Planning for all of these areas will greatly improve the success of any technology project.
Thanks for your post!
Julie, nice post. I suspect that the Ferguson "case study" will be examined for months to come ... In all the calls for justice, I worry about the lack of objective examination of "mission" and "principles" that you note so well.
ReplyDelete