The Pew report noted above, also shared that although shopping, etc. can and often is done during work hours on work machines, most people that work in this hyperconnected environment observe that they actually perform more work than they did when they were not nearly so connected. The disparity between the two ideas can be resolved by understanding that individuals develop communication pathways and connections through their use of the internet - Shirky defined this as social capital. He then further observed that increasing social capital increases "health, happiness, and earning potential". So, on the individual level, connected employees are healthier and happier. This can be further upscaled to the group level at a workplace.
Harold Jarche's article listed several assets to having a connected workforce. He stated that connected workers bring relational capital to the workplace. These individuals know how to connect with others and like to form relationships. Shirky noted that when individuals in an organization are more networked, their communication is better and they have a more "flexible social structure". The individual that is comfortable surfing the web to do his or her shopping and knows how to navigate social networking brings value through their knowledge and abilities to form connections at work as well. Recently, several new faculty members have been added to my department. There is a noticeable difference in the way that they work compared to some of the older faculty that may not have grown up in this more hyperconnected environment. I have noticed that these faculty try to find ways to connect to others and are very interested in sharing their work ideas with others in many different formats. They also seek input from others about how work has been done in the past and ask for critique of their work more readily. I may be making assumptions regarding the driving forces behind these behaviors, but they seem like logical assumptions when viewing these behaviors in light of hyperconnectedness.
As we move into the future, the skills that workers will need to employ will be enhanced by their connected behaviors. The Atlantic listed the future work skills for 2020. Many of those skills, such as new media literacy, transdisciplinary, and trans-cultural behaviors can be enhanced by skills gained from interacting with others online. In education, as interdiciplinary courses increase and online offerings become more accepted, the skills learned through internet interactions will be more and more important. So, is sneaking a peek at the internet during work hours hurting work production or is it really on- the- job training?
Reference
Shirky, C. (2009). Here comes everybody: The power
of organizing without organizations. New York, NY: Penguin Books.
I laughed out loud at your first sentence. I have seen many a browser quickly minimized as I walked by and then exchanged my inquisitive glare with the sheepish glare of a coworker. The next time this happens I can be reassured that my co-worker is only increasing their job skills. I think you’ve touched on something when you talk about the gaining of new skills from interacting with others. I think that the effectiveness of online skill learning that takes place from interacting with others depends on level and type of interactions that occur online. Casual interactions may not really increase the skills needed for the future. My belief is to increase skills such as sense making and social intelligence intentional focused interactions need to occur online. As leaders, it will be important that we equip ourselves with these new skills and ensure that those we lead are equipped with them as well.
ReplyDeleteMichael -
DeleteYour point regarding intentionality is spot on! We use FaceBook and Twitter to let our publics know what we are up to and I love it when faculty and other retweet or share this information. My secretary is often called upon to help students navigate some type of website or learning management system. I dare say, however, that her ability to navigate the shopping areas has helped her to do these tasks with far less fear of blowing up the system (the fear many of our students have). I'm not condoning shopping at work, but wonder if even disruptive behaviors such as shopping provide some good for the organization since it is very difficult to monitor the behavior all the time.
Neat post, Julie. I like your attitude! Not only are the networked workers increasing their life skills, but studies have shown that a little down time increases productivity. And I come back to the fact that this same person checking Facebook at work is probably using the web to work from home, increasing overall productivity.
ReplyDeleteJulie,
ReplyDeleteI love the way you have turned around the use of “work time” to take care of personal business over the web as simply another method of acquiring on-the-job training. Good work!
I am finding some sense of comfort in reading all of these posts and beginning to understand how all of our lives are being influenced by these same pressures. I think just knowing that will help me more effectively deal with them in the future.
Thanks for your efforts to continue to bring that to my attention through your post that has provided such a good summary of the concepts covered in this week's reading.
Joe Hollowell
Hello Julie – Working in retail, I cannot begin to tell you how many calls I have received from people shopping from their computer at work. The most amazing part is that they confess on the phone to how they are suppose to be working but just have to make sure a certain item was in stock and on hold for them to get after work. I wonder for the businesses that monitor phone calls if this is considered personal therefore they cannot listen to the phone call?
ReplyDeleteI believe there is give-and-take to working with the younger generation and their “hyperconnectedness.” I have noticed that the younger generation cannot leave their phone in their locker while working and asking them to do so is very offensive. The company rule and my rules vary slightly in that I do not mind if they have their phone on them as long as it does not keep them from getting their work done. I also ask that they only use their phone off the sales floor.
In the morning before the store opens everyone uses their phone for a different use. Some listen to music from their play list, others the radio, and some listen to audio books. I have been finding myself listening to Ted Talks. My team is always wondering what I am listening to and when I say it is educational, I get the eye roll and the comment of “it’s too early for education!” Going to work at 3am (five hours before the doors open) we are given many leeway’s most do not have (when the store is open).
On Friday, while I was at work I thought I lost my iPhone. My thoughts went immediately to the Shirky (2008) lost phone example. I was becoming awfully scared as I was retracing my steps. I think the story from the book got me even more nervous because if I found a phone I would return it to the rightful owner immediately. I kept thinking how much information I have on my phone and what would I do if I lost? Thankfully I found my phone laying on the front car seat of my car which must have dropped out of my pocket from lunch. Thank goodness I was not in a cab!! =)
Thank you for a thought provoking post!
Reference:
Shirky, C. (2008). Here comes everybody, the power of organizing without organizing. New York, N.Y.: Penguin Books.
Heather -
DeleteThat is an interesting dilemma.....is ordering from a store you work at during your work hours personal or business? I guess technically it is personal and if policies require, it should be handled on personal time at work such as break time. Without policies in place to determine requirements, the leader of that area has more leeway to create an environment of trust and expectations regarding work. It sounds like you have created a working environment that allows individuals to stay connected and yet accomplish their work - not an easy task.
The question you pose at the start of your blog made me chuckle. I have been witness to and guilty of minimizing window from doing personal tasks while at work. While I am guilty of doing so, I would say that I’m very efficient at work. While I am connected and have completed personal browsing at work (balancing my check book for example), I do, very much so complete my work and accomplish additional tasks. Because of this, my answer to your question would be that sneaking a peak is just fine. HOWEVER, those who aren’t sneaking a peak, but are staring all day are what makes sneaking peaks appear to be harmful to work production.
ReplyDeleteFurthermore, what was really interesting is that in response to my blog post, Professor Watwood initiated the thought of the “blurred lines” of work and personal life. If we are expected to complete work while at home during our personal time, how are we expected to solely do work during our “traditional” working hours? Because these lines are blurred so, is it inevitable for our tasks to be blurred as well? When will we ever get a moment to ourselves to do personal activities on the internet? I thought this was great food for thought. What do you think about this?
I see this as the way things are going as well. I respond to people for work purposes day and night and on weekends and holidays. I have used the internet for personal reasons at work, but as you mention, it is to do something quickly. I am usually fitting something into my schedule that way when I remember to do it.
Delete