Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Topography and Technology

 What have advances in technology done to the global economic topography?   An article by Richard Florida, The World is Spiky, geographically graphed several things including, where populations are the greatest, where the largest number of patents are granted, and where the most scientific citations originate.  Florida showed in his graphical representations that these things that contribute to innovation occur in just a few places in the world, not broadly across all nations.  Florida asserted that when viewed from this perspective, technological innovation and strong economic influences create a "spiky" topographical pattern globally. 

Florida's article was a rebuttal to a  book by Tom Friedman entitled, The World is Flat .  According to Friedman, since technology is so widely available, it has leveled the economic landscape.  Geography no longer separates individuals, because technology can bridge the geography.  Innovation is not just for those in a geographical location, but anyone can innovate.  Although the technological topography is flattened in Friedman's theory, he warned that it is crucial to be curious and a life-long learner to remain part of this flattened topography.

Clay Shirky, in his 2009 TED Talk, observed innovation can occur anywhere when technology is commonplace and the attitude of "we are in this together" pervades society.  When innovations occur, they then spread globally. Much of Shirky's talk depicted a flattened topography because individuals are now connected to each other through technology and not just connected to a technology. He did not concur with Florida's observations that innovation occurred mostly in particular global locations, but instead, innovations can occur anywhere because technology has spread globally.  You can hear his talk by clicking below:

 

My own personal experiences with technology indicate a flattening effect of technological benefits in a college classroom setting.  I have students that are willing to be part of the classroom experience using the related educational technologies.  These students tend to do better in class and build their knowledge through many learning applications.  As each student learns the benefits of using the technology, it encourages others to participate in the use of the classroom technologies.  So the spread of the technology can flatten the learning topography.  It opens doors to many opportunities to engage in the classroom materials and learn which in turn can increase grades.  There are, however, students that either fear or do not have the desire to learn the classroom technologies.  These students often do not do as well in my classes.  A great disparity can occur in the grades often creating a bimodal curve in grades.  The disparity is not due to the technology not being available - every student has access to the college library and its wealth of technology.  Rather, the disparity is in the willingness and ability to use the technological tools.  In a classroom, just as in the global perspective, technology can flatten the topography of the learning (and grades) by allowing students to use resources that will enhance their ability to learn the materials as individuals or even collaboratively.  The only nuance, as Friedman noted, is that students must be both curious enough to use the technology and desire to learn for the sake of learning  in order to experience the flattened topography.

10 comments:

  1. Julie - the point about being a lifelong learner as well as the curiosity to learn new technology is absolutely key to compete in today's workforce and economy. I majored in Management information Systems, graduating in 2001. The language I learned in that program was Visual Basic. That language was already on its way out of fashion when I graduated and replaced by .net development by the time I hit my third anniversary at my job. Java is always evolving and Google Web Toolkit has replaced some Java development at my current job.
    Specifically within IT jobs, those that do not continuously learn and improve their skills outside of work are quickly left behind as the technology moves beyond them. I think learning and growing is essential to move forward in any profession, but the speed and consistency with which IT professionals need to learn and grow exceeds most professions.

    -Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa, good points about the evolving IT landscape. When I worked on my Masters thesis back in 1984, I wrote my own statistics program using BASIC on a Commodore 64. We have come a long way!

      To Julie's point, I am wondering if both Florida and Friedman have aspects they got right. Coding may be flatter due to open-source movements, but patents may be spiky and located in fewer places.

      Delete
    2. Melissa -
      My husband's degree is in MIS as well. I am always amazed at the innovations that are coming down the pike through that field. He is at least 5 years ahead of me in technology always. So I guess it creates a "spiky world" in our home. The disparity in our technologies can be pretty amazing at times. I am grateful, however, that this means he can teach me the technology when it becomes something useful for me to know (or more commonoplace as Shirky suggested). I applaud those of you on the front lines of the technology wave. You have to discern which technological new thing to really sink your teeth into because that will determine a lot about your future career.

      Delete
    3. Britt -
      I think that both Florida and Friedman do have aspects they each got right. Florida's whole focus is on the super-creative class that initiates many of the technological advances. Friedman noted that the world "flattened" as technology became widespread because it is globally available.

      Delete
  2. Hi Julie –
    My doctoral practicum focused on helping an Adult Ed office roll out an online college transition course. I learned a lot – how to create an online class in Moodle software, for one – but I also learned about the layers of cultural nuance in both geography and populations. Adult learners have their own potential and challenges; their own skill sets and skill levels; their local cultural influences, such as county, poverty level, amenities / lack of infrastructure. But they also have their own level of motivation to encounter and engage. Ultimately, we came to the recognition that the learner is the mover, with or without the technology. He/she is the one who will commit to the course if they really want to improve their lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caer -
      It is sort of like leading a horse to water, but you can't make them drink. Since the courses I teach are mostly attended by pre-nursing students, I have been asked to help prepare them for the technologies they will face later in their career. They won't use learning systems, but they do need to know how to basically use a computer and have some comfort level that clicking a button will not blow up the machine. Teaching at a community college means that I will have all levels of technological know-how in a classroom. I have worked very hard to find ways to engage students with each other early in the semester to leverage peer learning. Not all students will feel comfortable coming to an instructor and I can help more students by helping students get to know each other better so they ask each other when they are uncomfortable asking me.

      Delete
  3. Your insights about geography are thought provoking. Communication is no longer hindered by location. The TED talk explained how technology is global. He provided a prime example with the country of China. I value that Shirky understands that people are connected through technology and not connected to technology.

    As an educator, I appreciate your comments about technology in the classroom. I think it’s imperative to offer students with multiple ways to learn. Allowing your students to creative applications provides students ownership in their learning. Your parallel of the classroom and the authors was very intriguing. The connection of the world being flatten as well as the classroom makes perfect sense. Since the classroom is a primary source of education, technology fits in perfectly. What a wonderful way to incorporate innovation into your classroom!

    How do you support students who are nervous about technology in your classroom? Does your institution provide assistance? How to you convince students technology is imperative to their learning and grade?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your encouraging words! I have extra credit bribery as well as chocolate on my desk for students to come to my office with any kind of a question. I require students to have three contacts within the classroom - I actually give time in class the first week and check to make sure that they have three contacts. At the beginning of a semester, the students are very shy about contacting each other, but by the middle of the semester they are meeting at Bread Co. and other places to study.

      Institutionally, we have help desks. Our distance learning director has short video how-to's planned in the future as well.

      Most of my students want in highly competitive programs so mentioning that the use of technology will be mandatory later and that I am helping them prepare for that has been sufficient. My qualitative data on students that do not embrace the technology is that they have over-booked their schedules (often out of necessity) and do not have the time to engage in the online work and often do not have time to study in any other ways as well.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing this post Julie.

    It is interesting to me because you have noted a dichotomy in the performance of your students. You seem to have drawn the conclusion that there is a clear difference in the performance of those students who have embraced the use of technology versus those who have not. I am curious. What sort of subject matter do you teach?

    I ask because research on the benefits of technology on learning and achievement presents mixed results though it does point to some benefits related to student engagement. However, there are conflicting conclusions. Analyzing over 700 studies, Schacter (1995) concluded that technology initiatives have to focus on teaching and learning, not the technology, in order to be successful: “One of the enduring difficulties about technology and education is that a lot of people think about the technology first and the education later” (p. 11).

    One of the more interesting opinions that I have read comes from an experienced classroom teacher (Muir, 2013) who laments the effect that technology has had on his students and their education. He relates that his experiences in the classroom are jaded by a continual focus on the technology and a lack of focus on the importance of teacher. A bad teacher with 30 iPads for 30 students is still going to be a bad teacher and the students are not going to learn. Muir believes that the focus on technology has led to a neglect of the skills that constitute good teaching.

    Do you think there might be some merit to this argument?

    References

    Muir, M. (2012, May 13). Does Technology Improve Learning? No. [Web log post]. Retrieved from http://brightfutures4me.wordpress.com/2012/05/13/does-technology-improve-learning-no/

    Schacter, J. (1995). The impact of educational technology on student achievement. The Milken Exchange on Educational Technology.


    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this post Julie.

    It is interesting to me because you have noted a dichotomy in the performance of your students. You seem to have drawn the conclusion that there is a clear difference in the performance of those students who have embraced the use of technology versus those who have not. I am curious. What sort of subject matter do you teach?

    I ask because research on the benefits of technology on learning and achievement presents mixed results though it does point to some benefits related to student engagement. However, there are conflicting conclusions. Analyzing over 700 studies, Schacter (1995) concluded that technology initiatives have to focus on teaching and learning, not the technology, in order to be successful: “One of the enduring difficulties about technology and education is that a lot of people think about the technology first and the education later” (p. 11).

    One of the more interesting opinions that I have read comes from an experienced classroom teacher (Muir, 2013) who laments the effect that technology has had on students and education. He relates his experiences in the classroom are jaded by a continual focus on the technology and a lack of focus on the importance of teacher. A bad teacher with 30 iPads for 30 students is still going to be a bad teacher and the students are not going to learn. Muir believes that the focus on technology has led to a neglect of the skills that constitute good teaching.

    Do you think there might be some merit to this argument?

    Joe Hollowell

    References

    Muir, M. (2012, May 13). Does Technology Improve Learning? No. [Web log post]. Retrieved from http://brightfutures4me.wordpress.com/2012/05/13/does-technology-improve-learning-no/

    Schacter, J. (1995). The impact of educational technology on student achievement. The Milken Exchange on Educational Technology.

    ReplyDelete